Reading, Berkshire, UK
Senior Synthetic Chemist
ICE Group is an API and speciality ingredients manufacturer which focuses on the development and manufacture of bile acid derivatives and is one of the main suppliers of UDCA in the world.ICE is a global organisation which has manufacturing facilities in Italy, Brazil, India, Japan, and New Zealand together with R&D facilities in Italy, India, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.
ICE Group is developing next generation bile acids for possible neurodegenerative (such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s disease) and metabolic disease intervention. These next generation bile acids are developed at ICE UK’s R&D site, located in Shinfield, near Reading under the brand NZP UK. ICE UK is also a leading provider of complex rare oligosaccharides and glycoconjugates and offers bespoke carbohydrate synthesis solutions for biotech and pharma customers under the Dextra brand.
In addition, ICE UK has a GMP manufacturing suite capable of producing active pharmaceutical ingredients for early phase clinical development.
ICE Group is seeking a motivated and talented Senior Synthetic Chemist to join our team. In this role you will be able to apply your experience in an innovative, fast paced environment. The ideal candidate will have good synthetic organic chemistry knowledge and passion for laboratory work.
They will be a self-starter, able to work collaboratively across multiple functions and provide support and guidance to other team members. The role is typically 80 to 90% laboratory based (project dependent) and involves a variety of activities, from design of synthetic routes (milligram to grams) through to process development, scale up and technology transfer (multigram to kilogram), utilising modern laboratory equipment and analysis techniques.
Our Synthetic Chemistry team closely collaborates with Quality Control and Assurance departments and incorporates H&S at every step of their work. We are looking for an individual with experience in a variety of synthetic methods and multistep synthesis.
Previous experience in process chemistry is not a requirement, however, appreciation and understanding of larger scale operations is advantageous.
This position is based at the ICE UK facility located at Thames Valley Science Park, Reading, UK.
- As part of a synthesis team, you will be responsible for the synthesis of complex target molecules via multi-step syntheses, from mg to kilogram.
- Design new scalable synthetic routes.
- Apply scientific knowledge to overcome any problems encountered, in order to achieve the project goals within deadlines.
- Prepare and review client reports and other technical documents.
- Presenting own work at both internal and external meeting.
- Contribute to the preparation of patents and publications.
- Conduct regular literature searches to maintain an up-to-date knowledge of chemistry and current industry trends, especially those that relate to bile acids and natural products.
- Ensure safe working practices of themselves and others and comply fully with company policies.
Education & Qualifications
A PhD in Organic Chemistry or a MSc associated with chemistry degree and at least 3 years experience in chemical industry (must be laboratory based).
- Ability to plan and execute synthetic steps with minimal supervision and with high levels of productivity.
- Able to balance multiple priorities and projects at the same time and be able to change priorities as needed by the business
- Willing to learn and have a can-do attitude.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Good organisational and time management skills; the ability to work to agreed deadlines.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing demands and environment.
Experience & knowledge
- Experience in multi-step synthesis and the application of appropriate analytical techniques (NMR, Mass Spec., HPLC).
- Excellent working knowledge and practical skills in Synthetic Organic Chemistry.
Email your CV to [email protected]